Recipes

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Figs - Without The Newton!

Trying something new can be challenging, offensive, scary, overwhelming or it can present a new outlook and can be rewarding! I do not think there are many of us out there who haven't had a fig cookie, but have you ever had a fig without the newton? I tried my first fresh fig ever yesterday and I have to tell you it was rewarding!
To me a fig is similar in texture to a kiwi yet has a smooth and sweet taste. I was pleasantly surprised and now I know like figs!  I have only eaten the meat of the fig, although I have read the skin is fine to eat I haven't tried yet!
As I get older in life I have figured out a few things. I have more patience, more tolerance and a new appreciation for trying things I never have before. I am glad I have opened my mind to foods and the different foods available out there.
Before taking this vegan/vegetarian journey I found myself wondering how exactly vegetarians found enough choices to eat?  Now that I am one and have opened my eyes to all the amazing foods that are vegan / vegetarian friendly I am amazed how many and how good they all are.  There are vastly more choices the you would ever think.
A little about figs.  The figs seems to be one of the oldest farmed fruits out there dating back to biblical times.  In one medium sized fig there are roughly 37-40 calories, 1.5 grams of good fat, no cholesterol and the following: calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, zinc and vitamin C.  Figs are a good source of dietary fiber as well.  Because fresh figs do not have a very long shelf life many are dried.  According to what I have come across 2-3 days is about the average shelf life.
If you have any other information about figs please leave in the comments section.
Thanks for visiting!
Until next time,
Kel
Check out my other blog Weight Loss HQ to follow my journey of losing 25 pounds in the month of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment