Recipes

Friday, July 29, 2011

Poppa don't preach

You know there is something I think is amuck in this country other then the politicians!  Every time I see it, read it, hear it or experience it I cringe.  People have a way of assuming just because something is right in their eyes, everyone else should be seeing the world through their glasses.
I can understand standing up for what you believe in but what about the people who don't believe the same way as you?  It is right for you or justified for you to look down upon them and their beliefs and positions?
I personally don't think it is, nor do I condone that behavior.  This is why I try to use a little more tact and an informational approach then preaching my beliefs!  Whats right for me isn't right for everybody.
I believe I have made the right choices, (and this is where I think it gets sticky sometimes) FOR ME and my life.  That is not to say it is right for any other Joe out there and conversely its not to say it isn't right either.  I still see some in the veggie/vegan community who are adamant and very vocal about their personal beliefs.  Like I said it is ok to stand for what you believe in but chastising another for their personal decisions may not be the best approach to use to get your point across!
I believe the world will be much more sustainable for a longer period of time should more people adopt a plant based diet however if you choose to eat meat then so be it.  Its your decision, your still entitled to it and who am I to tell you your wrong for doing it?  I did it for 40+ years!
This is probably more of a rant then anything else on my part but some things I just like to get off my chest and then move on to the next project!  All I ask from anyone is respect my decision to live a plant based lifestyle and I will respect your decision in kind!
I still think there is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding out there about the veggie/vegan lifestyle.  The other day I am picking up some leeks in the grocery store for another batch of my famous potato leek soup.  A very nice woman was in the same section I was and politely asked me "Now, what do you do with leeks?"  I began by telling her I make potato leek soup with them and started to give her more information on how to do it.  I told her I was vegetarian so I didn't use butter or milk in the recipe but instead used soy milk and butter substitute.  I did get a somewhat strange look from her but just kept telling her how easy it was and how delicious it comes out!  I certainly do not hide behind my choices and I am not afraid to converse about them or promote them when the issue arises.  She was super nice and thanked me for the information.
There is something to be said for good old fashioned politeness and niceness.  I really think this has been lost in todays current society.  To that point it is hard to even find good customer service anymore and that is another blog all in itself!
Just remember our lives are based upon our individuality and each persons decisions.  Just because we don't agree with something isn't grounds for war.  Maybe if we took more time to understand each other with kindess and niceness we might just learn something we don't know!  
Thanks for visiting my blog!  Until next time,
Kel
Check out my other blog and follow my journeys as I transform and old overweight, unhealthy body into slimmer, stronger, lean mean machine! Weight Loss HQ

No comments:

Post a Comment