Recipes

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Living Veganetarian (Veggie-Vegan)

Adopting the lifestyle of vegan I thought was going to be just another "phase" of trials and errors that my wife and I would go through.  I was convinced it was going to be too tough, expensive, not doable and we wouldn't have any clue how to go about transitioning in to the lifestyle.  Turns out that wasn't the case at all!
I find it easier being veggie-vegan everyday that passes.  I realized that instead of spending more money on groceries we are spending less overall.  I found the conversion very easy and it gets easier everyday however the first couple weeks were a little rough figuring out what to eat.  I honestly can not imagine going back to a non plant based diet now.
Having said that I was a strict carnivore for 40 years.  I never dreamed I would not eat meat in my meals a minimum of once a day.  There isn't anything I didn't like, I loved steaks, fish, pork and chicken and personally make killer burgers, my family will attest to that!  Having now made this transition and having eliminated all animal products from my diet I have to tell you what I have found.

Energy - my energy level has easily doubled and some days I would say it has tripled.  I haven't had this  kind of energy in twenty years.  I literally feel stronger and after going to the gym for the past several weeks I can tell you I am performing activities and exercises that I haven't been able to complete before switching to a non meat diet.  

Weight - I have lost considerable weight since switching to a non animal diet.  Yes I have added exercise  but there is no way I would have dropped the same amount of weight by just going to the gym.  I know this because I have done it before ( a few times) on an animal based diet.  By eliminating the fats and chemicals found in animal based food I am naturally slimming down.

Eating habits - I eat more now then I have in years.  Maybe not in the calorie sense of eating but in sheer quantity yeah, I eat!  I find myself eating every few hours, and rarely do I find myself actually "hungry" anymore.  I'm a food lover.  I love to eat and I love food.  Eating this way has definitely helped to keep me from continuing down the road as a prime diabetes candidate.

My thoughts - now this is a slow process but my thoughts, mind and thinking has changed.  I find myself much more positive about the day to day cycle of life then when I was eating meat all the time.  I can't say this is due to my diet changes but it sure is a welcome change!

Lethargy - When I was a heavy meat eater I was pretty lazy especially right after a meal.  My stomach always felt heavy, I was tired, I didn't feel like doing anything after eating!  Now when I eat I want to go do something, anything!  I never feel that uncomfortable overfull brick in the stomach sensation anymore even when I eat more then I should!

I feel really, really healthy.  I felt healthy before making the switch but now I feel so much better.  Some of that comes from losing weight, some comes from fueling my body correctly and some comes from my  diet changes.  I can tell you it is awesome to feel healthy everyday!

The above are what I experienced.  It doesn't mean everyone will experience the same but by reading about what others who have made the switch to a non animal based diet have written there are a lot of similarities.  
If you thinking of switching up your routine I suggest adopting a minimum of once a week committing to a veggie-vegan day where you eat no animal products.  There are so many resources for incredible meatless recipes and the food is amazingly good!  Try it on for size, you'll be helping yourself, your family and the environment!
Thanks for visiting the blog!  Until next time,
Kel

Check out my other blog tracking my progress on my personal journeys of weight loss Weight Loss HQ

No comments:

Post a Comment