Recipes

Friday, July 22, 2011

Ideal Weight Calculators - Whats my "ideal" weight?

I did a little research today about what my ideal weight should be according to my age, gender, height etc.  I was not at all surprised to see that medical calculations put me at 129-169 pounds.  Yeah ok.  If I actually got my weight to 129 pounds I would be sick, not in the head but physically.  Using that same calculator it suggested my ideal BMI (Body Mass Index) would be somewhere in the realm of 19-25.  Did you know the BMI was created somewhere in the mid 1800's?  A bit antiquated perhaps?  Maybe the methodology, yes.  BMI in a nutshell is a math equation used to find a satisfactory solution of your body fat by your height and weight.  Its a guess really.
I wander around this world on a 5'-9" frame.  The next time your out at a public place take a look around at all the people who are around 5'-9" and you will see drastic differences in their build and body frames.  I am short but have a large frame, if you saw me you would understand.  Now for me, if I had to pick an ideal weight for myself it would be somewhere in the 170-190 pound range.
Many digital home scales available have the ability to measure your body fat fairly accurately using electrical impulses through the pads you stand on.  Get yourself one of these if you don't have one or head to your local gym, health club, doctor or a personal trainer to see if your can get measured using one of the same type of instruments, (most have one of these).  This will give you a fairly accurate idea of your body fat percentage.  I would also suggest you get measured.  What you want to measure is the circumference of your chest, waist, arms, legs etc and you will need someone to help you measure.  Now the only thing your lacking is your weight.
Once you know your weight, measurements and rough idea of your body fat you can get to work.  Measure these things once a week to track your progress.
This still doesn't tell you your ideal weight, and to be honest every one of us is different so it is not an exact science.  What you should focus on is where you want to be.  Focus on what changes you want to make, not just numbers, per se.  I am not going full speed ahead to hit 175 pounds, I am going for a goal that is not centered on a "number" but instead on how I want to look and feel.  Here's why, if I just went guns blazing to hit 175 pounds and I get there what if I don't look and feel the way I want too?
Food for thought.

Thanks for visiting the blog!  Until next time,
Kel           

No comments:

Post a Comment