Recipes

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Robert Cheeke - Vegan bodybuilder

Theres some misconceptions and confusion about how vegans apear weak, non muscular, thin, etc and these are misconceptions.  I dont think Woody Harrelson (longtime Vegan) looks like any of these things.  Neither does a gentleman by the name of Robert Cheeke.

Mr. Cheeke was raised on a farm and at a young age decided to give up meat.  He has gone on to be recognized as one of the top and most popular vegan athletes.  Mr. Cheeke is also a vegan body builder and has won competitions for his hard work!
To learn more about Mr. Cheeke and see his full bio please visit his website

In my little quest of life changes I was afraid of loosing some of the muscle I have "earned" over the years of my meat rich life by going vegan.  I honestly was wondering how on earth I would be able to ever regain the 17" biceps I once had at the last peak in my physical prime which was in my 30's.  In the last 10-12 years I have put considerable strain on my body.  Twice I have dropped considerable amounts of weight and twice I have put it back on plus.

At the pinnacle of my weight roller coaster (December 2010) I was damn near 300 pounds on a 5'-9" frame.  I was smoking a pack and a half a day and drinking upwards of a 12 pack a night.  Good times!!  I felt miserable.  I looked miserable.  I was lethargic, lazy, tired and cranky most if not all of the time.  Thats when the changes started.   Click here to see my earlier blog post of my evolution of change.

Woody Harrelson and Robert Cheeke are both inspirations to me.  Now that I have made the decision to live a vegan lifestyle, I need to incorporate more exercise and some weight training in to it to "button up" my body and to continue to lead a more healthy lifestyle!

Thanks for visiting the blog!
Until next time,
Kel        

1 comment:

  1. Keep at it dude. I'm 44 and was in the same boat, though I was vegetarian for about 7 years before making the decision to commit to being vegan. During that time I certainly wasn't always healthy or eating right. For the last two years I've been working out, but not really making gains. Then at the beginning of the year I went vegan and a couple months later committed to eating only whole foods like Forks Over Knives and many others pitch. Well the extra fat I was carrying started coming off despite me eating copious amounts of food and my workouts got better so that now I'm running and can bench 300, a big gain. Oh, and my cholesterol dropped to 137 from over 200 as a vegetarian so that works too. In fact all my bloodwork is great. A low fat vegan diet of whole foods does indeed work.

    ReplyDelete