Recipes

Monday, June 27, 2011

Recipe - K&A's Kick A** Vegan Tacos

I LOVE tacos, always have always will.  So here is our take on a vegan taco recipe we enjoy often.  The first time I had these I didn't think I would like them at all.  I fell in LOVE with them with the first bite.  The black beans are a perfect substitue for meat.  If you prefer you can substitute vegan meat substitute crumbles but I love these things the way they are!  I hope you do too!
We choose to make our own taco seasoning with spices at home.  Most store bought taco seasoning packages contain partially hydrogenated oils and / or milk - dairy products.  Plus you can adjust the seasoning to fit your taste perfectly.

K & A's KICK A** VEGAN TACOS
White hard or soft corn taco shells (12 pack) - (we look to find the ones with no hydrogenated oils)
2 cans or 1- 30 oz can black beans - rinsed
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
couple shakes of red pepper flake
salt & pepper
1/2 large onion
whole large tomato
1 bag of broccoli slaw - found in the vegetable section of your grocery store (this stuff is AWESOME!)
Daiya dairy free cheese style shreds - For those who want cheese - (usually found at stores like Whole Foods & The Sunflower Market)
salsa of your choice

Rinse black beans in colander. Add black beans to 2 quart pan, add water and spices.  Simmer on low to low medium heat for 10-20 minutes.  (Adjust seasonings to your individual tastes)  The longer you slow simmer the more flavor will come out.  In a separate pan heat up vegetarian refried beans.  Cut up tomato and onion in cubes.  Heat shells or soft tacos according to package directions.
Spoon refried beans, beans, cheese substitute (if wanted) in shell.  Add onions, tomatos, broccoli slaw and top with salsa - enjoy!!

Personally I am not fond of the cheese substitute on my tacos.  I added it to this recipe because there are people who want cheese on tacos.  For me I enjoy the tacos more without it at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment